Sunday, May 11, 2008

Weekend News

We finnished up the last of our adoption seminar yesterday. I really enjoyed it actually. Everyone should have to take something like this whether it's because you are adopting yourself or you know someone who is adopting, it really gave me an understanding as to what and why we are adopting. Puts things into perspective and gives a reality check for both of us. Another thing I enjoyed about it was meeting other couples who are going through the same experience. We met some really nice people who we hope to stay in touch with through this journey.

Now some people might ask as to why we are still doing this if we are still hopeful on becoming pregnant. I asked myself this as well. Here is my thought on it. I really really want to adopt. For a long time it seemed like the second choice as we were unable to conceive naturally. Now it seems like something that is meant for us. I will feel very very blessed when we get the call that our child is ready for us. If we do end up conceiving a child well what would happen is they put our adoption file on hold, which only makes sense as that would be just too much to handle all at once with a newborn and adopting a child. But they will keep all our info and stuff that we have completed so far and we could revisit the option of adoption if we wanted to in the future. It's such an emotional journey, I feel a little torn in two directions. I believe that what is meant to be will happen...........but I really feel in my heart that it will be the adoption journey that will be completed first for us. I just have that female intuition. And it may sound crazy but at this point I would be a little disappointed after all the time and emotions that we have invested in this.

Now another thing I want to talk about. I have know idea who all reads this blog but I'm going to put it out their anyways. If and when we do get our child we decided that we are going to keep that child's personal history private except to a few select love one's and my closest friend. We will not let anyone know if the child was abused or what not, we are not going to let anyone know what the reason was for the child to be given to social services so I'm asking everyone to respect our decision regarding this and to not ask us. I don't want our child to ever feel different from any other child so I feel if EVERYONE knew their history they would be treated different. I also never want to hear anyone refer to us as Danielle and Jason and their adopted child. If I do I will probably lose it on you. I am probably going to be a little sensitive and extra protective to begin with so this would probably drive me over the edge and I will let you know.

So that being said I will leave it at that. Continue to keep us in your prayers and hopefully next Mother's Day I will have something to celebrate too.

No comments: